Pages

Reader Monday. . .Let Me Whisk You Away!


Happy February!! It's a wonderful month to celebrate LOVE. . .especially your love for reading books! Don't you love when an author whisks you away to another place? That is exactly what my guest, Kellie Mounce, is talking about today! Please welcome, Kellie!!



I LOVE BOOKS.  I have had this love affair for as long as I can remember.  Put me in a bookstore and I can be lost for hours.  There is just something about the feel of a good book in your hands.  It doesn’t matter if it is a new book with crisp pages or a worn book with its age showing in the creases.  The smell of the pages always leads me into my very own corner of the world. 

The first “big girl” book I read as a child was James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl.  I remember not being able to put it down for a second.  All I had to do was close my eyes and I was there with James, my friend.  We had quite an adventure living inside that giant peach!  We went over a cliff into the sea where we were carried by sea gulls to New York City.  We were chased by the Cloud Men and had to rescue our friend Centipede who fell out of the peach.  We ended up on top of the Empire State Building.  What a great time we had!  I look at my friend James and I can finally see happiness in his eyes.  He knows he is now free to live the life that every little boy should.  I hug him and promise to visit very soon.  I open my eyes, smiling because I know my friend is just a page away! 

When an author can take you on an adventure, make you feel emotions that you might never have felt before and leave you wanting more…that is when you know you have a treasure in your hands!  I still feel like I’m 7 years old when I see my first “big girl” book.  It will always have a special place in my heart.    

Do you remember the first “big girl/boy” book that took you on an adventure?      

 


20 comments:

  1. Mine were the Nancy Drew Mysteries. I couldn't keep my hands off them. I have every one of them in my room and at night after I was supposed to be asleep, I would crawl in my closet with a flashlight and read until I couldn't keep my eyes open. That must be why I am such a mystery lover now. But it was my 11th grade English teacher who really got me hooked on books. She was a holicost survivor who told us her story and introduced me to Anne Frank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! What a great story, Sue! I love that about your English teacher. I bet she was fascinating to listen to.

      Delete
    2. I was also a fan of the Nancy Drew books. My all time favorite mystery writer is Agatha Christie. What a brilliant mind! Sue, you are blessed to have had such a wonderful teacher. Thanks for sharing! :)

      Delete
  2. There are just to many to remember which was first. I remember the longest book I read in the 9th grade was Gone with the Wind, because I enjoyed the book so much I've never really cared for the movie. It took me 2 weeks to read Gone with The Wind.
    In Collage The Clan of the Cave Bear I read in 1 night.
    The word is a much better place because of a wonderful thing called books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill I couldn't agree more with your statement about books making this a better world. I love getting lost in them and visiting crazy new places. Gone with the Wind is one of my favs too. No...they movie didn't do it justice, but I do love the movie.

      Delete
    2. Gone With The Wind is one book I haven't read. I will have to put that one on my list! I did read The Thornbirds which at the time was my longest book. I totally agree that books make this world even more beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  3. Mine was probably The House of Arden, a fantastic Time Travel book by E. Nesbit – which inspired the YA Time Travel book I've recently had published myself, Lady Molly & The Snapper. E. Nesbit is best known for The Railway Children, which of course I also love, but to me the many books she wrote with a touch or more of magic in them will always be my favourites. (They influenced C.S.Lewis too, in his Narnia books, by the way!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Narnia books were an influence on me too :)

      Delete
    2. I'm a huge C.S. Lewis fan! I have never read the books by E. Nesbit but I do know of her. Another one I will have to add to my list to check out! Thanks Gerry! :)

      Delete
  4. Mine was Dracula in 1st grade :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty deep for a first grade read :)

      Delete
    2. Wow...you were a brave little girl! I was Gretel in the 2nd grade play of Hansel and Gretel. I remember being terrified of my teacher for the longest time because she played the witch. I couldn't wait to shove her in the oven...lol! Thanks for sharing! :)

      Delete
  5. Mine was all the Judy Bloom books. I loved every single one. To this day I still smile when I see one of her books in the store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read all of them too. And Beverley Cleary. I worked in school library in 8th, 9th, 10th & 11 th grades. Books are my best friends.

      Delete
    2. Love Judy Blume! I've tried to get my oldest daughter to read them but she doesn't like to read! *GASP* There is still hope for my youngest daughter...she loves books like her mama! :)

      Delete
    3. I had always dreamed that I'd have a girl and she'd love them just as much as me.....three boys later :)

      Delete
    4. Might have helped them understand girls...lol :)

      Delete
  6. I liked the Sweet Valley High books, and the Flowers in the Attic series by VC Andrews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh....me too!! The news ones aren't anything like they use to be :)

      Delete
  7. I read VC Andrews as well! It made me realize my own family dysfunction wasn't so bad after all...haha! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete

ANSWERING A READER QUESTION

AMAZON COZY MYSTERY BOOK CLUB: https://amzn.to/35jiXar GOODREADS COZY MYSTERY AMAZON BOOK CLUB DISCUSSION: https://www.goodreads.com/topic...