Pages

Christmas Breakfast Casserole

We love to have a nice casserole for Christmas morning before the hustle begins for the day. I took it straight from Vivian Lowry, mama in A Kenni Lowry Mystery!

I, Vivian Lowry, was raised a to be a true southern lady. I’ve never left my house without lipstick. I’m not a bragger by any means, but the man upstairs has blessed me with an amazing daughter and loving husband, as well as a sharp tongue and I truly don’t believe I wasn’t given the gift of my boldness if it weren’t in my destiny.
I truly was born to have greatness and when I came up with my famous Chicken Pot Pie, I knew it was my ticket to be a star.

Who made it famous? Well…anyone who has ever gone to a funeral repass in Cottonwood, Kentucky knows that I always bring my chicken pot pie. It’s all the rage, besides the body lying corpse. And it’s no secret that all the women in Cottonwood always make their best recipes for the after funeral supper.

It just so happens that The Culinary Channel had gotten a tip about little ole me and my famous chicken pot pie. So much so that they’ve sent Chef Frank Von Lee to come see me and try my delicious casserole to be featured on the Culinary Channel.
Now, I’m not braggin’. Like I said, I knew I was destined for greatness. I’m not gonna spill the beans on my recipe just yet, but I’ve been told that my breakfast casserole is to die for.

I, Vivian Lowry, did not kill anyone. You remember that!



Photo courtesy of Tonya Kappes

All other food photos courtesy of Google Images unless otherwise marked
Ingredients:
1 package (16 oz.) of bulk ground sausage. I like a little spice to mine so I get a mild or hot sausage.
1 onion (chopped or you can buy a bag of the frozen already chopped)
1 red pepper (chopped or you can buy a bag of the frozen already chopped)
3-4 cups frozen square hash browns
2 cups cheddar cheese
3/4 cups Bisquick (I use gluten free Bisquick because Eddy is gluten free and it's the same measurements)
2 cups of milk
6 eggs
Optional black pepper

Directions:
I preheat my oven to 400
Spray a 3 quart baking dish ( 13 x 9 inches) with cooking spray
Over medium heat, cook the chopped onion and red pepper along with the sausage until the sausage is cooked with no pink.
Drain the meat.
Add the meat mixture, frozen hash browns, and 1.5 cups of the cheese in the baking dish.

In a bowl, combine the milk, Bisquick, eggs, and pepper (optional). Pour over the sausage mix in the baking dish.
Bake for around 30-35 minutes.
Sprinkle the rest of the cheese over top and bake another five minutes or until the cheese has melted.

Photo courtesy of Tonya Kappes
I'm a big believer in letting the food stand for 5-10 minutes after taken out of the oven.
Enjoy!

Mmmmm...What a great way to start any day!
I'm not against eating breakfast for dinner either.😉

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANSWERING A READER QUESTION

AMAZON COZY MYSTERY BOOK CLUB: https://amzn.to/35jiXar GOODREADS COZY MYSTERY AMAZON BOOK CLUB DISCUSSION: https://www.goodreads.com/topic...